Monday, March 17, 2008

Assembly

Busy weekend- I put together the first floor of bent 1. Since this was the first and I wanted to be extra careful I started by assembling the whole thing without knee braces. When I got everything square, I dry fit the knee braces, and marked where each would fit.














Then I took the whole thing apart, and cut the mortises for the knee braces. Below is a couple pictures of the final assembly with the knee braces installed. Kind of cool to have all the pieces start to look like something.

































Next up will be queen posts, thankfully built from smaller beams. Ten by ten timbers are very heavy to muscle around by hand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep up the good work. Your really inspiring me! I'll be sure check in on your progress.

Anonymous said...

Are you end grain sealing those (Anchorseal)? If not, why?

topper said...

I haven't been using anchorseal, although I intend to. It's been so cold that I haven't worried about checking yet. I've had some 8x8's stacked up for a year or so that I didn't seal the ends on, and they split on me, although not very much. At least they didn't twist.