Sunday, April 20, 2008

Faux Pas

So I finally got one of the rafters built. I started off on the wrong foot by putting a mortise an inch off from where it should be, so I glued in a block, and it won't show.

One end of the rafter has a "birds mouth" joint which is a bit of a pain to cut, but finally I got it done. Since the rafter is a bit shorter than what is needed, the other end of this piece has a scarf joint- which is a big pain in the ass to cut.

Above is the Birds mouth joint; and here's the scarf joint:

Below is the rafter installed. I made a router jig to cut in the joints where the purlins will be.

A few more pieces, and this bent will be complete. My next order of timbers is almost done. I'm planning to build the whole first floor, and stand it up inside. When that's done, I'll do the same with the rest of the raters.

Sunday, April 6, 2008

On the Money

It's been a slow couple of weeks. Fortunately, this weekend turned out to be sunny and nice, and I got a lot accomplished.

The first thing I did was test fit the queen posts and collar tie. I ran strings where the rafters will sit according to my drawings. Everything lined up perfectly. In fact, I measured from the base of the center post to where the top of the peak will be, and it was only off 1/8 of an inch. Not too bad if you ask me.

Then I took the whole thing apart, and made the final cuts on the queen posts. Now it reassembled waiting for the rafters. This first bent is almost done. I've also almost worked myself out of beams. I need to place an order so I can continue.