Sunday, April 6, 2008

On the Money

It's been a slow couple of weeks. Fortunately, this weekend turned out to be sunny and nice, and I got a lot accomplished.














The first thing I did was test fit the queen posts and collar tie. I ran strings where the rafters will sit according to my drawings. Everything lined up perfectly. In fact, I measured from the base of the center post to where the top of the peak will be, and it was only off 1/8 of an inch. Not too bad if you ask me.



















Then I took the whole thing apart, and made the final cuts on the queen posts. Now it reassembled waiting for the rafters. This first bent is almost done. I've also almost worked myself out of beams. I need to place an order so I can continue.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Topper!

Man, this makes me feel extra-guilty about that time I broke one of your new chisels. Wonder how many weeks that set you back...

Seriously, though, this is awesome that you're building your own house! Silly question, but have you chosen the land for it yet?

Well, I'll be following along with your progress digimatronically. How great is this, a blog on hand-making a timber-frame house? You truly are a Vermonter of the 21st century!

- Ty

topper said...

Hey Tyler,

Thanks man. Good memory on breaking a chisel- because I don't remember it, haha.

Nope- I don't have any land yet- I want to get the frame part pretty well complete before I take that step. Glad you'll keep checking in, I'll keep taking pictures and posting.

~Topper