Sunday, April 20, 2008

Faux Pas

So I finally got one of the rafters built. I started off on the wrong foot by putting a mortise an inch off from where it should be, so I glued in a block, and it won't show.














One end of the rafter has a "birds mouth" joint which is a bit of a pain to cut, but finally I got it done. Since the rafter is a bit shorter than what is needed, the other end of this piece has a scarf joint- which is a big pain in the ass to cut.














Above is the Birds mouth joint; and here's the scarf joint:














Below is the rafter installed. I made a router jig to cut in the joints where the purlins will be.














A few more pieces, and this bent will be complete. My next order of timbers is almost done. I'm planning to build the whole first floor, and stand it up inside. When that's done, I'll do the same with the rest of the raters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Topper,
I love watching your progress. You really have the talent for this but: What the heck are you building???
Keep up the great work.
Cairle

topper said...

Hi Cairle,

Thanks, glad you like following the (slow) progress. What I'm building is the first of the four frames that will make up most of the house, and be connected by floor joists and purlins. The frames are called "bents"- and when this first one is done, I'm hoping to stand it up, and build the other three in place. If you look at the first post on the blog, it has a sketchup drawing of what the completed frame will look like. Does that answer your question?

~Topper